If you’ve lost one or more teeth in Mount Pleasant, you may be wondering if you should get a set of dentures, or if you should invest in dental implants. Both procedures have their own pros and cons. So in this blog from Advanced Dentistry of Mount Pleasant, we’ll discuss dentures and dental implants, and help you figure out which treatment may be right for you.
The Top Signs That You Should Get Dentures
We offer both partial and full dentures at our office. Partial dentures attach to your healthy teeth and fill gaps in your smile with false teeth. Full dentures are a bit different, and require the removal of all of your teeth. They consist of a gum-colored base with a full row of teeth, and can be used to replace the upper, lower, or both rows of teeth. So, are dentures right for you? Here are a few signs.
- You’re missing lots of teeth – If you’ve lost a lot of teeth, a set of partial or full dentures will be a lot cheaper than multiple dental implants, or a set of full-arch implant-supported dentures.
- You’re on a tight budget – Dentures are much cheaper than dental implants. And, unlike dental implants, they are covered by dental insurance. If you don’t have a big budget for dental care, dentures are a good option.
- You want to get faster results – Treatment with partial and full dentures doesn’t usually take as long as dental implants, so you can restore your smile more quickly.
- You’re diligent about oral hygiene – You’ll need to take special care of your dentures, and do things like remove them and soak them at night. Failing to do so can lead to complications, so you’ll need to take good care of your mouth.
The Top Signs That You Should Get Dental Implants
A dental implant is made from a small piece of titanium. This is surgically implanted into the gums and jaw bone. Over time, the implant heals and bonds permanently to your mouth, functioning as an artificial tooth root. Then, a dental crown (false tooth) can be attached to the implant to restore your missing tooth. Here are a few signs that you may want to look into getting dental implants:
- Your jaw bone is healthy – You need to have a strong enough jaw bone to accommodate a dental implant, so your mouth and jaw bone should be healthy. If your jaw isn’t strong enough, you may need additional treatment like a bone graft.
- You’re only missing a few teeth – Compared to partial dentures, dental implants are more expensive, but they help keep your jaw bone strong, require less special care, and last much longer. This makes them an especially good choice if you’re only missing one or two teeth.
- You want a permanent solution for missing teeth – Dental implants can easily last 30+ years, and require less special care compared to dentures. They look, feel, and function just like real teeth.
- You have a bigger budget for tooth restoration – Dental implants are more expensive than dentures, and are not covered by dental insurance. They are worth the investment, but they may not be a good choice unless you’ve got room in your budget.
Learn More About Your Options At Advanced Dentistry Of Mount Pleasant
As a prosthodontist, Dr. Candice Vinson specializes in tooth restoration with dentures, dental implants, and even dental bridges. The best way to find out which treatment is right for you is to schedule an appointment at our office. Contact us online or give us a call at (843) 936-1690 to get started. During your appointment, Dr. Vinson will examine your mouth, discuss your options, and help you find a treatment plan that’s perfect for your unique situation.